Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Teacher Cuts Off Girl's Braid In Front Of Class

I know a lot of other mommy bloggers and hair sites have already discussed this incident so at first I wasn't going to bother to post it. The incident, however, often come to my mind and I imagine how angry I woule be if a teacher ever cut my little girls hair.

Lamya Cammon is a first grade student in Milwaukee. Apparently the teacher was frustrated because she was playing with her hair in class so as a punishment she called the little girl to the front of the class and cut off her braid. The little girl cried as her fellow student laughed. I know some people are thinking that this is JUST HAIR but as we all know there is much more to hair then stuff that keeps our heads warm. Hair is part of us, part of our self esteem and our glory. This little girl was shocked and embarrassed by her teachers abuse.

So I bet you're thinking the teacher got fired or harshly punished. NOPE! She got a $175 fine, that's it! A slap on the wrist! I think she should lose her job and be made to pay for her offense.
I guess we now have to teach our daughters what to do if a teacher ever tries to cut their hair. Other mommy bloggers have suggested that they run to another teacher or principal and tell them what this teacher is trying to do. Perhaps shout "NO do not cut my hair" I always tell my children that if they are being punished in a way that makes them uncomfortable to tell the school to call me. I believe my children always have a right to reach out to me when they are in need, school or no school. That's MY child.

Beads, Braids and Beyond posted the following contact information should you wish to contact the school regarding this issue.

This is the schools address:
Congress Elementary School
5225 West Lincoln Creek Drive
Milwaukee, WI 53218

This is the schools email address:
116@mail.milwaukee.k12.wi.us

This is the school districts address:
Milwaukee Public Schools
5225 West Vliet Street
Milwaukee, WI 53208

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below. All advertisements and links will be removed. Should you want to advertise on this site please e-mail hairwithpurpose@gmail.com Thanks!!! Have a Blessed Day!